Feijoa Fruit: A Nutritional Powerhouse Packed with Essential Vitamins and Minerals
Feijoa is a nutritional powerhouse packed with vitamins and minerals. A 100 gram serving of fresh feijoa fruit contains 96% water,18 calories,1.6 grams of fiber, and significant amounts ofvitamin C(58% daily value),vitamin B (10% daily value) and minerals like potassium(7% daily value),copper(9% daily value), calcium(1% daily value) and phosphorus(2% daily value). Feijoa fruit is also a good source ofantioxidants such aslutein,zeaxanthin andβ-carotene which may aid in various health benefits.
More comprehensive information and care guidelines can be read here.
The Incredible Health Benefits of Feijoa Fruit
Feijoa fruit offers many health benefits thanks to its impressive nutritional profile and high antioxidant levels. Here are some key ways feijoa can contribute to your health:
Immunity boost: Feijoa fruit is high in vitamin C, which acts as an antioxidant to strengthen the immune system and protect cells from free radical damage. Just half a cup of feijoa provides 103% of the Daily Value for vitamin C.
Skin health: The antioxidant compounds in feijoa help combat oxidative stress responsible for premature skin aging.They may help reduce fine lines,wrinkles andthe risk of sun damage to the skin.
Blood pressure control: Feijoa fruit is high in potassium,which balances out the effect of sodium to maintain healthy blood pressure levels.High blood pressure increases the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Heart health: The fiber,folate and antioxidants in feijoa fruit can helplower LDL cholesterollevels,reducing the risk of heart attacks and strokes.Several studies have found a link between higher fruit intakerich in these compounds and reduced heart disease.
Blood sugar regulation: The low <u>glycemic index</u> of feijoameans it can have a positive impacton blood sugarlevels in diabeticsand pre-diabetics, helping control spikes after meals.
Weight management: Feijoa fruit is low in calories and fat but high infiber and water content to keep you fullerfor longer, promoting weight loss and maintenance.
How Many Calories are in a Feijoa Fruit?
The calorie content of feijoa fruit depends onfactors like variety,size and ripeness but on average,a single 100 gram serving of fresh feijoa contains between 45 to 65 calories.
This calorie range roughly breaks down as:
-17 to 23 grams of carbohydrates
-Less than 1 gram of protein
-Less than 1 gram of fat
Feijoa fruit is considered low-calorie due to its high water and fiber content.The water content in fresh feijoa can be as high as 96%,while the fiber content is around 1.6 to 2 grams per 100 grams.
Both water andfiber are linkedto keeping you fullerfor longer while consuming fewer calories.The low glycemicload from feijoa fruit also means it is unlikely to cause big spikes in blood sugar levels.
In comparison,other popular fruits have significantlymore calories:
-Apple: 52 to 95 calories per 100 grams
-Banana: 89 to 118 calories per 100 grams
-Orange: 47 to 59 calories per 100 grams
The calories in feijoawill varydepending on:
- Variety: Some feijoa varieties are larger in size,containing slightlymore calories.
- Ripeness: Riper feijoas tend to have more developed sugars and therefore more calories.
- Processing: Cooked,pureed or juiced feijoa will have higher calories due to loss of water content.
Feijoa Fruit: A Low-Calorie Snack for Weight Watchers
Due to its low calorie and high fiber content,feijoa fruit makes an ideal snack for people trying to watch their calorie intake or lose weight.The average 45 to 65 calorie count per feijoa means you can enjoy one or two as a filling, nutritious snack between meals without worrying too much about the calorie impact.
Some reasons why feijoa is a healthy snack option for dieters:
- As discussed previously,a fresh 100 gram serving of feijoa contains only 17 to 23 grams of carbohydrates,less than 1 gram of fat and less than 1 gram of protein.This makes it a ‘calorie dilute’ food, meaning you consume less calories for the same volume compared to other snacks.
- The high water andfiber content in feijoa meansit can keep you fuller for longer while limiting the total calories consumed.This helps prevent overeating andsnackingbetween meals.
-Feijoa fruit has a lowglycemic index of 30,meaning it releases sugars and carbs into the bloodstream at a slower, steadier pace.This helps curb sugar cravings and overeating that often accompanies high-GI snacks.
- Feijoa fruit isnaturally low in sugarcomparedto fruitssuch as apple,banana and mango.For example,100 grams offresh feijoa contains only 1 to 2 grams of sugarwhile the same amountof bananawill have 12 to 14 grams ofsugar.
By swapping high-calorie snackssuch as cookies,chips, candy and commercial fruit juicefor one or two fresh feijoas,you can significantly reduce your daily calorie intake and stay on track with weight loss targets.The antioxidants,vitamins andmineralsin feijoawill also give you an energy boostwhile dieting.
Feijoa Fruit Recipes to Indulge in without Worrying About the Calories
Feijoa fruit packs a nutritional punch while being relatively low in calories,making it a perfect ingredient for guilt-free desserts,snacks and meals.Here are some recipes to enjoy the benefits of feijoa:
Feijoa Salsa: Combines chopped feijoas with onion,tomatoes,lime juice and chilli for a refreshing and tangy dip. Serve with corn chips as an appetizer.
Feijoa Smoothie: Blend fresh or frozen feijoa pulp with yogurt,milk and ice for a satisfyingfruit smoothie under 100 calories with 3 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber.
Feijoa Salad: Toss chopped feijoas with leafy greens,nuts and a light vinaigrette dressing for a nutritious side salad with under 70 calories per serving.
Feijoa Compote: Cook halved or sliced feijoas downwith a little sugar,cinnamon and lemon juice for a low-calorie topping for yogurt,pancakes or ice cream.
Feijoa Muffins: Bake mini muffins with mashed or chopped feijoas,whole wheat flour and egg whites instead of oil for a Guilt-Free morning snack under 120 calories each.
Thanks to these delicious feijoa-based recipes,you can indulge your sweet tooth and enjoy the complex flavor of this exotic fruit without breaking your calorie bank. Combined with a balanced dietand regular exercise,these treats can help sustain your weightloss journey.
More Helpful Guide
- How Many Calories Are In A Feijoa Fruit
- Can Feijoa Cause Allergic Reactions
- Can You Ferment Feijoa Fruit
- How Do You Make Feijoa Fruit Fly
- What Is The Difference Between Pineapple Guava And Feijoa
- What Kinds Of Feijoa Fruit Are There
- How Do You Propagate Feijoa Trees
- What Diseases Affect Feijoa Plants
- How Do You Prune Feijoa Trees
- What Kind Of Climate Do Feijoa Trees Need
- How Long Does It Take For A Feijoa Tree To Bear Fruit
- What Is The Best Soil For Feijoa Plants
- How Far Apart Should Feijoa Trees Be Planted
- How Do You Grow Feijoa Plants From Seeds
- What Are Feijoa Leaves Used For
- What Does Feijoa Fruit Taste Like
- How Long Do Feijoas Last After Ripening
- How Do You Store Feijoa Fruit
- How Do You Choose A Ripe Feijoa Fruit
- What Are The Health Benefits Of Feijoa Fruit
- What Is Feijoa
- 10 Best Feijoa Companion Plants And 3 Avoid
- Optimizing Soil Conditions For Healthy Feijoa
- Preventing Pests And Diseases In Feijoa
- The Top 5 Fertilizers For Healthy Feijoa
- How To Know If Feijoa Is Healthy? Expert’S Latest Advice
- How Often Do Feijoa Bloom
- The Best Place To Put Feijoa
- What Is The Lifespan Of Feijoa
- Expert’S Latest Complete Guide On Sunlight Feijoa
- How To Water Feijoa
- How To Propagate Feijoa
- How To Propagate Feijoa
- How To Transplante Feijoa
- How To Transplante Feijoa
- How To Grow And Care Feijoa
- How To Care And Grow Feijoa